Saturday, August 29, 2009

Proverbial Sonnet (45)

If this is part of a serial poem, I'm not
supposed to read what came before, what words
I put or fell together late last night.
But what do I care about cautions and theories
regarding the way I should make my poems
these days? I'll sit here and over-read
what I have writ if that's how I want to roll.
What's OK by Herrick is OK by me.
It takes more than two to flock together.
The line is a manner of looking things up.
Wing it, sing it, and bring it. Fling your feather
against the sky. Snip the paper cup
and pick the coated pieces for our new nest.
Theory's restless worm will lead us to it.

2 comments:

William Keckler said...

Big smile at the memorable closing line here lol.

Bravissimo!

Scott Keeney said...

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the good comments.

Had mixed feelings on this one (the poem, not your comment!), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel good about the last line.