Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Complete Telepathy Poems of Scott & KC, part 1

Some time in the fall of '94 or the spring of '95 I came across an article by Ron Padgett in which he described telepathy poems. Maybe it was the same as the "Telepathic Poems" bit in his “Gimmicks” piece which can be found at poets.org. Basically one person thinks of a line and tries to telepathically send it to a second person. The second person then responds with a line of his or her own and tries to send that response to the first person. The process is repeated until the participants feel the poem is complete. KC and I made our first telepathy poem not long after we first hooked up back in February '96. I typed up the poem, and a copy of the file has managed to be migrated from computer to computer over the years. I think it might even have been published in Conatus, a student-run literary magazine at WestConn. Can't really recall. For the title we did a variation on the telepathic thing, sending individual words instead of lines. If I remember correctly, the only changes were to verb tenses in a couple of places, and we split a long line of KC's into two. Here was the poem, warts and all.

Night Black Love Implosion

When a thorny rose sprouts out of an open Bible
Where we can go and make love
An eyelash beats thunderously against undereye skin
Like the bars of an angel’s cage
It is a song of exquisite foliage
And you quote T.S. Eliot while
The lights go out like stars

No comments: