The latest issue of Octopus is up and contains an appreciation of Joe Ceravolo's Transmigration Solo. To commemorate the occasion, here's a poem from that collection. I like the simple, child-like diction. The progression of the observations from external to internal, and their confluence together with the somewhat Ashberian shifting of pronouns: the poem has its "we" section, its "I" section, and its "you" section. And Joe's trademark innocence-filled questions create their typical pleasant surprise (here not quite achieving the kōan-like quality they sometimes do in his poems).
SPELL OF ETERNITY
Joe Ceravolo
We are going to the park.
There are swings there.
There are rocks along a sand bed.
The flowers rest along
the bed. The flowers
rise among the fatigued
insects invading them.
There is a smell.
It invades us
through the insects
and makes us
notice there are flowers along
the bed, tiny flower clusters.
I envy the smell along the beds.
Is this a decaying soul? But
it is not said.
Am I decaying like
autumn insects, autumn leaves?
Find my heart!
Revive it! The old clouds
you find along the sky
have no chance next to you,
because it is autumn,
autumn.
Thursday, August 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment