Monday, July 23, 2007

Rock and dirt pour

Rock and dirt pour into a dump truck across the street, like ice cubes into a cooler amplified. The dog next door barking at god knows what. Vaughn downstairs singing her "I love being a mermaid" song. Cars brush by outside, the harsh hushing sound of tires rushing over wet pavement. Must have rained overnight. KC talking to Dash in the bathroom but I can't hear what she's saying. Dash grunts his small joyful grunts. Kick off the top sheet, into the morning routine, which starts, properly, with putting on a ratty T-shirt and a pair of shorts, hit the bathroom to pee, wash hands, splash cold water on face, and then downstairs, turn on the computer, make a bowl of Heart to Heart, sit down and start to read. Ron Silliman blogs on Barrett Watten's list of books "most 'essential' to [him] as a poet." I remember I made a top ten list like that when I was considering a low-residency MFA program which asked that question on its application. That must have been 2000. Made the list; didn't complete the rest of it. Don't remember the exact list. I'm sure Revolution of the Word was there, and The Birth of Tragedy; they'll always be there if only because of their primacy in my personal reading history. Same deal with Rimbaud's Complete Works and The Complete Poems and Selected Letters of Hart Crane. Charles Bernstein's Conent's Dream would have been listed in 2000. Would it be listed now? Probably, but if so, possibly only as part of a development. I pour myself some tea. What else? The Tennis Court Oath, definitely in 2000; definitely not now. Selected poems by Ted Berrigan, definitely on that list, and still, even though there's now a Collected. The Green Lake Is Awake? Probably. Collected Creeley? Probably. Selected Patchen? Probably. Is that ten? Who's counting? Who cares? Vaughn's in the living room watching Sleeping Beauty. Dash upstairs asleep in his crib. KC stepping out of the shower. Last night she finished The Deathly Hallows. And now the rain's pouring down outside. Where the cars keep zooming by. Us in our brown, little Arts & Crafts style home.

No comments: