Monday, September 13, 2004

"A Huge Vital Intelligent Boot" or Ride the Donkey

Since KC has gone back to work, it has meant less time for blogging in the evenings. And when I have made it here to write a post, I get a few sentences in and decide I'm not really into it. So, anyway, here's a link and a qoute.

Link: What happens when politicians "Tell the truth but tell it slant" (audio link).

Quote: from American Heretic, from a Baraka letter to Dorn, October, 1961: "My grandfather (first man to open a super market in Alabama... but run out with fire when he prospered) came to New Jersey and opened another store... became a big Republican Politician. When he wanted to break with the organization, and run independent for Assemblyman they warned him not too. (A stupid, bullshit job like Assemblyman.) O.K., he went ahead and ran.... and on the night of the election with him winning, on the way home from his office he was hit in the head with a street lamp. 'It just fell on his head and killed him' they told my grandmother. A Streetlamp! He was over 6 feet and 200 pounds."

* * *

America, I love you, really I do, but I am always amazed how you find the millions now billions now trillions for war, when you can't ever find the way to make good on your promised atonements for your past. I hadn't realized that Al Sharpton snuck in the reparations issue at the Dems convention back in July. Interesting, though, to go to the official Dem Convention site and see his "remarks as prepared for delivery," which mentioned no acreage.

* * *

OK, the abandoned post from yesterday concerned the New York Times Magazine interview with new poet laureate Ted Kooser. It's just too easy a target.

No comments: